Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I beleive in feminism, but...

I will probably piss someone off, but here it goes. I like being a housewife. *GASP* It is true. I like making my own household cleaner and hanging fluff up to dry. I like cleaning while wearing an apron and I love homeschooling (this part surprises me). I have no desire to work outside the home.

I consider this feminism. WHAT??? Yup. I have made this choice. It wasn't forced on me. Nor was it expected. My husband doesn't expect me to be a housewife. He is supportive of my decision and I bet he likes I am at home, but when I worked he was just as supportive. I do not judge the moms who love working. I do not judge the women who do not want kids. I may not understand their feelings/decisions, but that is the beauty of being woman. We are all so vastly different and we now live in an age where we can follow our hearts and not live a life that is "expected" of us.

We need to stop the judging and instead embrace all that is woman. Do not judge me because I homeschool and breastfeed in public. Do not judge my friend who works full time and sends her child to daycare. Do not judge my friend who does not ever want her own children. She is happy being an aunt. Instead let us fight for our rights together. It doesn't matter if we are fighting for equal pay or breastfeedng support. We need eachother.

We are firey and diverse and beautiful. Embracing this has made a huge difference already so why stop now? We need to support one another even when we don't live the same lifestyle.

Why am I writing this? Because I know in the future someone will get pissed off, or offended, or flooded with guilt because I am writig about my life or because I post something I believe in. I just want you to know I do not judge you and I firmly believe we need to drop the guilt and live the best life possible. We need to unite and support.
That is my firm opinion.

Love and peace

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I respect you a TON and I love reading about your family. How inspiring it is to be a woman especially in times like these.

    Sometimes we can feel so strongly about things and voice our opinions in a way that we end up shutting people out or "shouting" so loudly about a cause that people can sense us coming on too strongly (often it ultimately turns them off). How hard it is to not only speak but LIVE in a way that truly LOVES others and yet doesn't make them feel inadequate. I wish I could be more like that. I'm slowly learning as I walk along this road of motherhood. It's so true we are so different and we need to encourage and inspire one another... I should stop commenting on yours and write my own darn blog post ;-) I never blog about "serious" stuff, I like to just share about the mundane things going on and the sheer joy of motherhood. The big thing we have in common is that we love our families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I almost stood up and cheered in front of my computer. You worded it better than I ever could. As women, we need to stop with the working mom vs. stay-at-home mom BS, and start working together -- it will benefit us all in the long run.

    On a similar note, a friend just reccomended a book to me: "Radical Homemakers" by Susan Hayes. I'm a few chapters in, and love what I'm reading so far. I know free time is an almost unheard of luxury -- especially with four chidren! -- but it may be something you'd be interested in reading at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I think the hardest thing about parenting is overcoming guilt and embracing our decisions. It is easy to take another parents' vocalizations as judgement as opposed to education or just plain interest in a topic.

    I am in a community that frowns on the fact that I prefer attatchment parenting. I also get severe critism because I still BF #3. I keep getting articles passed my way that suggest I am "damaging" my children. At first I would feel guilty and second guess my decisions, but I have realized that embracing my decisions is better for me, my children and hubby.

    I love the subject of breastfeeding. There are so many studies lately and I thoroughly enjoy reading them and the articles that result. I like to share that information because I find it interesting and I know others will also. I, however, do not have the intention to cause others to feel guilty if they do not breastfeed. I do not judge women who choose not to or cannot breastfeed. It is an intensly personal decision and I wish it was easier for everyone to embrace it and stand along side eachother. That is why I wrote this entry. I want people to realize that I have no intention of creating a negative aura, but rather simply share passions in my life. I stand along side my fellow woman and dance in the knowledge we live in a time where we CAN choose.

    When it comes to parenting, I believe we have a lot in common. I actually consider you as one of the moms I most relate to. I find you to be incredibly inspiring. The love that radiates from you in regard to your children is contagious. My respect for you is deep and I love your blog is so incredibly lightheated. Whenever you share it on FB I always read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tears in my eyes right now, that was beautiful, thank you.

    Jenn McAninch

    ReplyDelete